University of Florida Division of Planning, Design, and Construction Records
Scope and Content
This series consists of planning maps for the University of Florida. The earliest maps, produced by the architect firm of Edwards and Walter, date from the conception of the Gainesville campus in 1905. Additional plans were developed by the firm's successor, Edwards and Sayward. In 1925, Rudolph Weaver, Director of the University's School of Architecture, assumed the position of Architect for the Board of Control and was responsible for campus planning throughout the state. In the period following World War II, a consulting architect was hired by the state. In the early 1970s, a campus planning office was created.
The items in this series are planning documents made before the creation of the campus planning office. Most of the items are copies of plans, some are original drawings, and several were published in leaflet or brochure form.
Many of the items in this series, as well as other planning documents available in the Archives, are described in The University of Florida campus planning: Its history and efficacy by Darcy Neher (1993) and A Study of the campus planning problem at the University of Florida by William Tobias Arnett (1932). The latter is, itself, a planning document.
- Creation: 1905-2010
- University of Florida. Committee for Evaluation of Campus Buildings. (Organization)
- University of Florida. (Organization)
- University of Florida. Committee on Campus Development and Planning. (Organization)
- University of Florida. Division of Planning, Design, and Construction. (Organization)
- Ring, Alfred A. (Person)
University Archives collections are available for research. Portions of the collections may be restricted due to the requirements of applicable state and federal laws, including but not limited to FERPA and HIPAA, and in accordance with best practices as defined by the Society of American Archivists.
13.75 Linear feet (12 boxes and 27 items)
Language of Materials
Campus planning documents for the University of Florida.
Please note the bulk of this collection is housed in the Auxiliary Library Facility off campus and will require advance notice for timely retrieval. Please contact the Special and Area Studies Collections department prior to your visit.
Alternative Format Available
Some of the items in this series have been digitized and are available in digital format. For more information please consult Archives staff.
- A Guide to the University of Florida Division of Planning, Design, and Construction Records
- Finding aid created by Carl Van Ness and Grant Wise
- July 2007 (Updated October 2022)
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Prepared Using Dacs
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is written in English.
- January 2020: Updated by Sarah Coates to merge Series 130 and 168 into this Series for better management of the records of this Division.
- July 2022: Added folders to box 9.
- October 2022: Dalia Dooley; added folders to boxes 9a-11.
Part of the Special and Area Studies Collections, George A. Smathers Libraries, University of Florida Repository
George A. Smathers Libraries
PO Box 117005
Gainesville Florida 32611-7005 United States of America