Administrative Policy Records of the University of Florida Office of the President (J. Hillis Miller)
Scope and Content
- Majority of material found within 1947-1953
- University of Florida. Office of the President. (Organization)
Miller's selection as President of the University of Florida came in 1947. The postwar enrollment boom was in full swing and the University was experiencing its first year as a coeducational institution. His primary efforts were in the area of building construction and staff development. A $15,000,000 building program was undertaken and many existing academic programs were expanded. During his brief administration, ten doctoral degree programs were added. He was also instrumental in the development of the medical colleges.
Miller died unexpectedly on November 14, 1953. Vice President John S. Allen served as acting president until the appointment of J. Wayne Reitz. In 1959, the J. Hillis Miller Health Center was dedicated in memory of his work to establish Florida's first medical school.
16.5 Linear feet (40 boxes)
Language of Materials
- A Guide to the Administrative Policy Records of the University of Florida Office of the President (J. Hillis Miller)
- Finding aid created by Dept. Staff
- February 2012
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Prepared Using Dacs
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is written in English.
Part of the Special and Area Studies Collections, George A. Smathers Libraries, University of Florida Repository
George A. Smathers Libraries
PO Box 117005
Gainesville Florida 32611-7005 United States of America