University of Florida IFAS International Programs Records
Scope and Content
The University of Florida IFAS International Programs Records have been divided into two sub-series. Both subseries contain files belonging to Dr. Hugh Popenoe, UF alumni, professor, and Director of International Programs and numerous other programs at UF (including Director of the Caribbean Research Program, Director of the newly created Center for Tropical Agriculture (1992), Director of the Center for Aquatic Sciences, initiator and Director of the Sea Grant College Program, and one founder of the Organization for Tropical Studies). Dr. Popenoe also chaired the Joint Committee of Agricultural Research and Development of the Board of International Food and Development (BIFD).
Subseries one contains files related to Title XII of the Foreign Assistance Act and Poponoe's involvement with the Board of International Food and Development (BIFD), a branch of The United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
Subseries two contains the director's administrative policy records for the program, including Poponoe's subject files. The records document the development of the University of Florida's agricultural research programs and technical assistance programs in foreign countries, principally in the Caribbean basin and in Africa. Also documented is Dr. Popenoe's activity on the Executive Committee of the Association of U.S. Directors of International Agricultural Programs.
- 1953 - 1990
University Archives collections are available for research. Portions of the collections may be restricted due to the requirements of applicable state and federal laws, including but not limited to FERPA and HIPAA, and in accordance with best practices as defined by the Society of American Archivists.
The Morrill Act of 1862, also called the Land Grant Act, gave states tens of thousands of acres of land; proceeds from the sale of these lands were to be invested in an endowment fund that would provide support for colleges of agriculture and mechanical arts in each state, known as land grant colleges. In Florida, this school was Florida Agricultural College, established in Lake City in 1884.
In 1905, the Florida Legislature passed the Buckman Act, which consolidated Florida Agricultural College, the East Florida Seminary of Gainesville, the St. Petersburg Normal and Industrial School at St. Petersburg, and the South Florida Military College at Bartow to form the University of the State of Florida, which was moved to Gainesville. The school was renamed University of Florida in 1909.
The Smith-Lever Act of 1914 established the Cooperative Extension System, a partnership between land grant colleges nationwide, including the University of Florida, and the US Department of Agriculture, in order to provide scientific knowledge and expertise to the public through educational programs
In 1964, Florida’s higher education governing board created the Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences by combining UF’s College of Agriculture (now the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences), School of Forestry (now the School of Forest Resources and Conservation), Florida Agricultural Experiment Station (now Florida Agricultural Research and Education Center), and the Cooperative Extension Service into a single unit.
In 1961, the Foreign Assistance Act was passed to address the global issues of food insecurity and hunger creating the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). Title XII, the “Famine Prevention and Freedom from Hunger” Amendment (1975) to the Foreign Assistance Act, legislated the engagement and partnership of U.S. universities and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) in the fight to end hunger. The legislation also established an advisory Board for International Food and Agricultural Development (BIFAD) to advise USAID. BIFAD is a seven-member presidentially appointed advisory body whose members are drawn from the U.S. university community as well as the private sector.
The Director of International Programs at the University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS) oversaw the Center for Tropical Agriculture until 1992 when it became a separate entity.
13 Linear Feet (13 Boxes)
Language of Materials
Records of the University of Florida IFAS International Programs Director Dr. Hugh L. Popenoe, including subject files and records related to Title XII of the Foreign Assistance Act and the Board of International Food and Development (BIFD).
Please note that this collection is housed in the Auxiliary Library Facility off campus and will require advance notice for timely retrieval. Please contact the Special and Area Studies Collections department prior to your visit.
- A Guide to the University of Florida IFAS International Programs Records
- Finding aid created by Matt Kruse
- May 2022
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Prepared Using Dacs
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is written in English.
Part of the Special and Area Studies Collections, George A. Smathers Libraries, University of Florida Repository
George A. Smathers Libraries
PO Box 117005
Gainesville Florida 32611-7005 United States of America