John Howey's Sarasota School of Architecture Collection
Scope and Content
The John Howey Collection includes photographs, drawings, models and research materials collected or created by Howey during the creation of his book and exhibition about the Sarasota architects who practiced from the 1940s through the 1960s. Alternatively known as the "Sarasota School of Architecture" or "Sarasota Modern," the style was popularized by a group of architects that included Carl Abbott, Bert Brosmith, Joseph Farrell, Mark Hampton, Philip Hiss, Gene Leedy, Victor Lundy, Paul Rudolph, William Rupp, Tim Seibert, Frank Folsom Smith, Ralph Twitchell, Jack West and Ralph and William Zimmerman, among others. The Howey collection, which spans from 1926 to 2001, includes a variety of materials on these Sarasota architects and their works. Although the focus is on Sarasota and Florida, the collection also includes photos and documents pertaining to buildings around the world.
The collection is divided into multiple groups. The "Research About Architects" group includes biographical summaries, correspondence, news clippings, journal articles and other documents collected or written by Howey during his research for the book and exhibition. The folders are arranged alphabetically according to the name of the architects. The "Book and Exhibition Materials" group consists of notes, drafts and galley proofs for the book, as well as materials pertaining to the creation and display of the exhibition. There are also a few theses, papers, and articles pertaining to the Sarasota Modern architects and their style.
The "Photographs" group primarily consists of photos of buildings constructed by the architects, as well as photo reproductions of architectural drawings and renderings. The folders are arranged alphabetically according to architect. The group also includes photos of many of the architects (as indicated in the folder titles). The "Exhibition Photographs" group consists of large-format laminated photos used in the exhibition. The photo descriptions include numbers that correspond to descriptions used in the exhibition catalog (see box 4 for the catalog). Many of the descriptions include the names of photographers in parentheses.
The "Models" group consists of seven wooden models created for the exhibition. The models represent the works of architects Paul Rudolph, Ralph Twitchell, Victor Lundy, and Mark Hampton. The models were created in 1996 by UF School of Architecture students Carlos Molnar, Bill Lorenzo, Brian Pinnock, Richard Emerson, David Munoz, Pat Rhodes, Brad Tomecek, Clayton Francis, Bill Bleich, and Lee Wells. In 2009-2010, the models were repaired and restored by students Phat Tran and Kimberly Olandia.
The final "Drawings" group is comprised of six sets of rolled reproductions of plans and renderings created by Ralph Twitchell and Paul Rudolph. Howey used these reproductions for reference, but did not include them in his book or exhibition.
- Howey, John. (Person)
The collection is open for research.
John Howey, a Fellow of the American Institute of Architects, has practiced architecture in the Tampa Bay region in Florida since 1965. His interest in Sarasota's modern architecture began in college and grew as he met Sarasota architects while serving as an intern in the area in the early 1960s. In the 1990s, he began writing and lecturing about Sarasota architecture, culminating in the 1995 publication of his book, The Sarasota School of Architecture, 1941-1966 (M.I.T. Press). In 1996, John Howey created an exhibition with the same name that featured photographs, renderings and architectural models.
19.5 Linear feet (9 boxes and 124 items)
Language of Materials
Photographs, drawings, models and research materials collected or created by John Howey during the creation of the book and exhibition entitled, The Sarasota School of Architecture, 1941-1966. The materials pertain to the numerous modern architects working in Sarasota, Florida, during that period.
The John Howey's Sarasota School of Architecture Collection is divided into six records series.
University of Florida Smathers Library Building
John Howey donated the collection to the University of Florida in 2009, with the assistance of Martha Kohen.
- A Guide to the John Howey's Sarasota School of Architecture Collection
- Finding aid created by John R. Nemmers
- June 2010
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Prepared Using Dacs
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is written in English.
Part of the Special and Area Studies Collections, George A. Smathers Libraries, University of Florida Repository
George A. Smathers Libraries
PO Box 117005
Gainesville Florida 32611-7005 United States of America