Records of the University of Florida J. Wayne Reitz Union Office of the Director
Scope and Content
The main general file includes documents, scrapbooks, AV, photographs, slides, and various records related to the Florida Union and the planning and construction of the new Reitz Union.
- 1914 - 2001
- Majority of material found in 1953-1984
Informal meetings to consider a new student union began in 1948. In 1952, the New Union Planning Committee was created. After a brief hiatus, the committee was recreated in 1956 and chose a site by a campus sinkhole for the location of the new union. In 1962, the Florida Development Commission appropriated money to begin designs and construction. Groundbreaking occurred in 1964 and the new student union was completed in 1967. It was named in honor of J. Wayne Reitz, the university's fifth president.
9 Linear feet (9 boxes)
Language of Materials
- A Guide to the Records of the University of Florida J. Wayne Reitz Union Office of the Director
- Finding aid created by Dept. Staff
- January 2007 (Updated April 2021)
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Prepared Using Dacs
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is written in English.
Part of the Special and Area Studies Collections, George A. Smathers Libraries, University of Florida Repository
George A. Smathers Libraries
PO Box 117005
Gainesville Florida 32611-7005 United States of America