Skip to main content

Governor's House Library Map Collection

 Collection
Identifier: GH 0002

Scope and Content

The Governor's House Library Map Collection primarily contains historic views of St. Augustine and St. Johns County, showing the evolution of the city from its founding through the restoration period of the 1960s. Other locales represented in the map collection include Jacksonville, Pensacola, Apalachicola, southern Georgia, Spain, etc. Many maps are photocopies collected from other academic and cultural heritage institutions, including the Library of Congress, the Archives of the Indies in Spain, the Clements Library at the University of Michigan, and the University of Florida. The collection is separated by four series: St. Augustine, Florida and Southeastern United States, World Maps, and Architectural Maps.

Dates

  • 1586 - 1982
  • Majority of material found within 1764 - 1880

Creator

Access

The collection is open for research.

Biographical/Historical Note

The Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board (HSAPB) was a seven-member state commission, created by Governor LeRoy Collins in 1959 "to acquire, restore, preserve, maintain, reconstruct, reproduce, and operate" historic structures in the city of St. Augustine, Florida. The HSAPB set out to restore and reconstruct Spanish colonial era buildings in a focused area of downtown St. Augustine in anticipation of the city's Quadricentennial Celebration in 1965, and maintained a research library of documentary evidence to support their preservation and interpretation efforts. The HSAPB was sundowned by the State of Florida in June 1997.

Extent

882 Items (19 flat file drawers)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Historic maps collected by the Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board (HSAPB) in support of their efforts to restore and reconstruct Spanish colonial buildings in downtown St. Augustine.

Arrangement

The Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board established a rudimentary numbering system for the maps, based on the order in which they were collected. This numbering remains in order to maintain intellectual control; however, the maps are now arranged chronologically by series and subject and therefore may appear out of numerical order.

Physical Location

This collection is stored and maintained in Governor's House Library, St. Augustine, Florida.

Custodial History

The State of Florida abolished the Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board in 1997, and the collection was managed by the City of St. Augustine Department of Historic Preservation and Heritage Tourism until 2010 when management of the State's historic properties in St. Augustine became the responsibility of the University of Florida.

Alternative Format Available

Digital reproductions of selected items in the Governor's House Library Map Collection are available online via the University of Florida Digital Collections (UFDC). Please read the Permissions for Use statement for information on copyright, fair use, and use of UFDC digital objects.

Title
A Guide to the Governor’s House Library Map Collection
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid created by Laura D. Marion
Date
May 2018
Description rules
Finding Aid Prepared Using Dacs
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Description is written in English.
Sponsor
Funding for the creation of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).

Repository Details

Part of the Governor's House Library, St. Augustine, Florida Repository

Contact:
48 King Street
St. Augustine Florida 32084 United States of America
(803) 209-2805