Skip to main content

Governor’s House Library Photograph Collection

 Collection
Identifier: GH 0004

Scope and Content

The Governor's House Library Photograph Collection contains negatives, slides, and print photographs of historic structures in St. Augustine, people involved with the restoration effort, and documentation of everyday tasks in San Agustín Antiguo, the interpreted living history museum run by the HSAPB. The collection includes some historic images dating to the late nineteenth century, but primarily document the HSAPB work in the 1960s and 1970s when buildings in the historic area of downtown were being excavated, restored, or reconstructed.

The photograph collection contains approximately 6,000 negatives, 16,000 slides, and 7,000 prints. The collection is arranged by type of photographic image and further arranged by subject.

A significant portion of the collection is undated.

Dates

  • 1870 - 2001
  • Majority of material found within 1962 - 1978

Creator

Access

The collection is open for research.

Biographical/Historical Note

The Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board (HSAPB) was a seven-member state commission, created by Governor LeRoy Collins in 1959 to "acquire, restore, preserve, maintain, reconstruct, reproduce, and operate" historic structures in the city of St. Augustine, Florida. The HSAPB set out to restore and reconstruct Spanish colonial era buildings in a focused area of downtown St. Augustine in anticipation of the city’s Quadricentennial Celebration in 1965, and maintained a research library of documentary evidence and photographs to support their preservation and interpretation efforts. The HSAPB was sundowned by the State of Florida in June 1997.

Extent

12 Linear Feet (12 Boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Negatives, slides, and print photographs created and collected by members and staff of the Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board (HSAPB) to supplement and support their goal of restoring and reconstructing Spanish colonial buildings in St. Augustine.

Arrangement

Photographs are arranged in three series: I. Negatives, II. Slides, and III. Print Photographs. They are broken down into further subseries by subject within each series.

Location

This collection is stored and maintained in Governor's House Library, St. Augustine, Florida.

Custodial History

The State of Florida abolished the Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board in 1997, and the collection was managed by the City of St. Augustine Department of Historic Preservation and Heritage Tourism until 2010 when management of the State's historic properties in St. Augustine became the responsibility of the University of Florida.

Alternative Format Available

The photograph collection has been the focus of ongoing digitization efforts at Government House, and many images from this collection can be found in the University of Florida Digital Collections (UFDC). Please read the Permissions for Use statement for information on copyright, fair use, and use of UFDC digital objects.

Title
A Guide to the Governor’s House Library Photograph Collection
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid created by Laura Marion and Claire Barnewolt
Date
July 2019
Description rules
Finding Aid Prepared Using Dacs
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Description is written in English.
Sponsor
Funding for the creation of this finding aid was provided through a grant awarded by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).

Repository Details

Part of the Governor's House Library, St. Augustine, Florida Repository

Contact:
48 King Street
St. Augustine Florida 32084 United States of America
(803) 209-2805